Wednesday, November 01, 2006

SNL and more

Interesting story about how iTunes saved The Office.

Cool picture of a message the troops in Iraq have for John Kerry.

Long, but worthwhile article on SNL. When I think about SNL for too long it kinda makes me sad. When I was in junior high and high school, it used to be a show that peopled looked forward to watching. It used to form pop culture in way that it doesn't anymore. Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and Conan O'brien have taken the mantle, I think.

I recently had a conversation about "the next Will Ferrell," and I decided that the very fact that we were talking about SNL in such a way was very informative. If you asked people, circa 2000, who their favorite SNL cast member was, 90% of people would say Ferrell. SNL might as well have been called the Will Ferrell Show during his years. Contrast that with the early-mid 90's. If you asked people the same question then, you'd get answers like: Phil Hartman, Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, David Spade, Kevin Nealon. I wish we weren't hoping for the next great cast member. I'd like to see the next great cast.

For the Arrested Development fans among us, you'll be happy to hear that the show's creator is working on a new series. Although nothing will ever replace that brilliant show.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home